Sunday, June 18, 2017

Notes on a Discussion

Crisis could be pretty real for Singaporeans. And we are still too complacent about many things.

When I first read the Hard Truth years ago, I found LKY rather paranoid about Singapore's future. He talked about our nation being built on a fragile foundation. Many changes has took place since, proving that his fears were not unfounded.

Back when I was in Malaysia, my cousin mentioned how Malaysians sees a bleak prospect for Singapore, with many Malaysian companies withdrawing their businesses from Singapore. Also, Chinese companies has much presence there, and a huge influx of PRCs who are working in Malaysia, bringing in their own talents, not necessary creating more opportunities there.

Meanwhile, there seems to be plans underway for a canal through Thailand, which could mean Singapore losing leverage on entre-pot trade.

Even our skills and technologies no longer gives us leverage when skills transfer through Tianjin and Suzhou industrial parks has already been massively replicated. What do we then still have to offer?

I think the future really involved a lot of upskilling. Who says we will forever be leaving this comfortable life our forefathers has painstakingly built for us.

The kind of Singapore our children, and our children's children will be born in lies in the resilience of our generation. There'd always be people hungrier and more driven.

“可怕的是,还有很多比你聪明的人比你更努力。” 时时警醒自己,也共勉之。


No comments: